Sunday 17 November 2013

Starlight Express - Steam Engines still rules, and so are the songs (musical review)


I was looking forward to seeing the musical Starlight Express again.  This musical was the first show that I saw in London West End, at the Apollo Victoria Theatre.  Since then, the production has undergone changes - songs and stagings.

Being a touring production, it was not possible to have the whole auditorium converted into a race track like in Apollo Victoria Theatre. The creative team this time has decided to present the races in another way - a film segment in 3D format. The film style reminded me of Japan TV show Ultraman.
If I remembered clearly, a key song by Rusty the Steam Train was taken out.  A pity since that song introduced the character to the audience.  Some hip hop songs and dance routines were introduced to keep this production current.  A good attempt nonetheless.  The other songs are still catchy which included the title track, AC/DC, Poppa's blues and UNCOUPLED.

The cast is definitely strong.  They sang and skated well and had good energy on stage. Production standards is on a high side.

While I would still remember the original version fondly, I admire the producers' effort in bring this production up to date.  Overall, I enjoyed this production for the energy of the performers and for the songs.  I don't think the 3D effects or the film element add substantially to this production, but it is a minor comment.

Hearing the song Starlight Express sang on stage again is always a treat.  I still enjoyed the performance.







No comments :

Post a Comment