Wednesday 4 April 2012

Arts events held in Singapore: What I liked, Jan - Mar 2012

Attended slightly more than 10 arts events in the first quarter.  I would say there are more misses than hits.  Here are the 4 that appealed to me in one way or another:

I caught  her first performance in Singapore in the 90s.  I remembered Ah Mei being an energetic performer and could wow the crowd.  In 2012, the magic is still there, though she took a while to do it.  Her voice is still amazing.    A great way to start the new year for the arts.



I was curious to hear a solo sheng performance.  And this performance, by virtuoso Mr Er Chiang Song and his students, did not disappoint.   According to Er, the aim of the concert was to showcase the traditional sheng instrument.  Enjoyable concert, pity that Er played only 2 solo pieces.

Oh, just a fun fact.  This concert was held on the day of Taiwan Presidential Election.  A lot of audience was talking about the results when they strolled out of the DBS Auditorium.






I highlighted this production in my earlier post.  A strong cast, good directing.  Here's to more good Chinese theatre productions.












Adapted from a novel by Ho Minfong, this musical by I Theatre managed to capture the feelings well.  A tight production, though getting some actors to speak with a Western accent (even though they are Asian roles) really baffled me.

No comments :

Post a Comment